Saturday, December 31, 2005

On the Dying of the Year

As the final night of 2005 draws in around us, a few thoughts on the year.

I enjoyed Batman Begins very much, and I think it's surpassed Spider-man as my favourite movie starring a man with a willy-cucumber stuffed down his jockstrap. I wish Batman had done more classic-form, Holmesian detective work in it, of course, but I've come to rationalise it this way:

Modern detecive fiction appears to me to have followed a specific trend over the 20th Century, from the Doyle/Sayers/Christie types who's protagonist could reason the criminal's identity from subtle clues left at the crime scene, to the realistic fiction of today where the detective is more likely to solve the puzzle through surveillance and interrogation. I think Christopher Nolan's Batman is a detective of the latter category, if he's even a detective at all.

And in the realms of scienti-tainment, this year's Fractal Gong goes to Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. I've waited years for this game, and it duly scared the crap out of me. Lovecraft (that loveable old bigot) has always been an influence (not in the bigotry sense, of course) and Call of Cthulhu's Innsmouth is as perfect a rendition of that dank port town as I could ever have imagined.

And finally, a hearty Blwyddyn Newydd Dda to whomever or whatever is reading this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home