Thursday, August 18, 2005

FractalFiction: Haematophagy (Second Night)

Well, it's been- two weeks since my last report? I've been caught up in all the excitement. The Erescu Catacombs quickly proved to be something of a dissappointment- the artifacts turned out to be fairly recent in origin (c. 200 years old), and imaging has turned up no concealed chambers or the like. But the castle ruins- they've more than exceeded our expectations.

The underground levels are almost completely intact, and there's evidence of a passageway that stretches into the mountain. Most importantly, it is almost definitely undisturbed. The sinister history of the locality has kept the looters at bay.

We have moved almost all our equipment to the castle due to lack of progress at the catacombs. A couple of the crew will continue the investigation here, but Harris and I agree that we would rather concentrate all available time and funding on the place that is most likely to yield the best results. The path to the site remains treacherous, but the local people are helping us to secure it as best as possible.

I have to admit, there is something comforting about the catacombs- a peaceful, empty atmosphere. I'm happy to continue using the location as our base of operations.

On a personal level, I've been working flat out since I arrived and I think the fatigue is getting to me. It's not long after sundown but I can barely keep my eyes open. I'll probably give myself a day or so off, conserve my energy for when we breach the passageway at the castle.

Rookwood out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home